Monday, August 06, 2007

'Phone'y Toons


I called up a friend a couple of days back. He just had a baby and was naturally pretty excited about it. I was talking to him about the baby and then we started talking about a project for AID and some code that had to be written for it... suddenly I abruptly cut the flow and said, "What about the name?". And then I think I heard him say 'Minnette' or 'Minute' at the other end... I'm not sure how the name 'Nilay' was perceived as 'Minute'... well lets just blame the rain... it was raining and I was outside the the front door :-) yes thats it... so I wondered how to react and thought he had mentioned the project's name and so I went, "[Ha Ha Ha] not the name of the project". And he went,"I was talking about the baby's name". Then in those milliseconds that followed, I went into collateral embarrassed mode and immediately unplugged some synapses at random places and hoped things stopped functioning...


come to think of it I had got a missed call on the 26th of July, which happened to be my b'day... and then I looked at the name on the phone and somehow felt it was from my cousin's aunt in kolkata... I talk to my cousin in pune every week... so I return the missed call and start talking to this aunt about things and the weather in kolkata... and when my cousin will be going there for a visit... and how she is doing in her studies; always mentioning my cousin in the third person... and then I said something and a voice from the other end said,"Alistair!!! you're joking right. Are you alright. This in Janelle.. From Pune"... and I wondered what to say and went "Yeah I'm joking..."

this was when I was back at home studying hard for some exams and my sense of night and day had gone for a toss... I was sleeping and then the phone rings... I jump out of bed to realize that blood is not flowing properly in one leg and I fall down and then with the other leg I get up and hop to the phone... They tell me they are from MSEB and are checking the phone connection. Then they ask me if the voice quality is ok and tell me to blow into the phone...
I go "phuuuuuuu"
"Blow Louder"...
and I go "PHUUUUUUUUU".
"Louder"
and I go "PHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
then I hear some giggles at the other end and I decide to hit the bed again, realizing that MSEB is the State Electricity Board !!! I guess blood had not reached my brain either :-)


4 comments:

Ree said...

hehehehehehehehe...one of ur best posts ever!

Vaidehi Dongre said...

i know it happens this way at times. once i got a call at work asking for a rehab :)exams times are the best ones when we are in a different world altogether.

Alistair D'souza said...

@ reema and vaidehi...
lemme know some of your phone bloopers :-)

Goli said...

hehehhe....My recent most phone blooper was when, I got a call from some guy, and he claimed to be my classmate from college, and he said, "I am going to kick your ass, if you say you dont recognize the voice, and then he kept asking pehchaan liya na?" Since he seemed so excited, I also told him yes. So we talked, he kept asking me lot of questions, I did not ask much because I did not know who he was. Finally the phone ended with the note that lets meet up soon sometime. I said yes and hung up. I still don't know who he was and all... it was quite funny though