Saturday, July 29, 2006

Chocolate Cake Recipe

Chocolate cake.
This is my mom's chocolate cake recipe.... A lot of ppl ask me for the recipe so thats why I have it with me.

Chocolate Cake
--------------
500 gms butter
430 gms maida
70 gms cocoa powder
500 gms eggs (Weigh the eggs ,add 1 extra egg)
500 gms ground sugar
½ tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla essence

Method: Sieve the maida, cocoa powder and baking powder together. Keep aside. Cream the butter, ground sugar and vanilla essence with two eggs until light and fluffy. When done gradually beat in the seive maida and alternately two eggs. In the same way add the remaining eggs and maida until done. The batter should be light. Spoon batter into a cake tin that has been lined with grease-proof paper (butter paper). Bake at 180 C

Chocolate Icing
---------------
400 gms icing sugar
80 gms cocoa powder
50 gms butter
2 tsp. Vanilla essence
2 ½ or 3 tablespoons boiling water .

Method: Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder. Make a well in the centre of sifted ingredients and add boiling water and mix well. Gradually add butter and vanilla essence. If necessary , add tablespoon of boiling water. Stir gradually until icing is smooth. Pour on top of the cake and spread evenly with a knife dipped in boiling water.

If you want to add a number of layers of icing use a thread to cut the cake into layers.

BTW: I haven't tried baking myself. However have played the role of being the taster/mixer. The good part about it is that you get to clean/lick the dishes/instruments afterwards (and sometimes during the process) :-)

Enjoy maadi!!! And if you live in Bangalore you can always call me over to taste.

5 comments:

Me said...

Hey you dint put the recipe of that much appreciated dip :-W I shimply lovvved it !

Alistair D'souza said...

yup... will ask my cousin for that recipe...

Alistair D'souza said...

I get the 500 gms weighed from the bakery..

Ketki said...

Cool...I know what I am doing this weekend..!
Thanks...will let you know how it comes out..

Alistair D'souza said...

@ ketki

cool :-)
lemme know how it comes out..